Houston Family Law Attorney | Call for Your Free Case Evaluation
Moving Out of State

Houston Out-of-State Custody Lawyer

Moving with Children When You Have a Custody Order

Either parent can file a motion to modify final divorce decree orders regarding where their child or children live. Parents often request to relocate because they received an offer for a better job, remarry, or became involved in a new relationship. The court decides each motion on a case-by-case basis using the best interests of the child as guidance.

If you are requesting to relocate – or if your spouse is and you wish to prevent them from doing so – our Houston move-away lawyer can represent you. At the Law Offices of Frank E. Mann, P.C., we take the time to get to know our clients so that we can provide personalized and effective counsel.

Call us at (713) 903-8112 to get started with a free case evaluation.

Putting Your Child’s Best Interests First

When considering a relocation request, the court looks for evidence that:

  • The children will continue to have ongoing contact with both parents
  • The environment for the child will continue to be safe, stable, and nonviolent
  • The parents continue to share the rights and duties of raising their children as much as possible

When a client seeks to relocate with a child, we prepare motions to modify that address the court’s concerns about relocation. We also obtain restraining orders for parents seeking to prevent a child’s relocation. When the matter is urgent, we can get an immediate restraining order and request an emergency hearing within 30 days.

Preparing for Parental Relocation During a Divorce

At the Law Offices of Frank E. Mann, P.C., we advise divorcing clients to try to obtain final child custody orders with no geographical restrictions. This eliminates the need to request a modification when removing a child from the area.

Keep in mind that the relocating parent still needs to provide the other with notice of the move. However, there is no need to file a motion for modification of the custody order if there is no geographical restriction in the final order. Most family court judges with a few exceptions to all family court judges, impose a residency restriction to the county where the child resides or any other contiguous county. If you are planning to move from the area with your child, it is important to contact a knowledgeable lawyer to learn about your rights and obligations.

Contact a Houston Out-of-State Custody Attorney Today

Our move-away lawyer in Houston has been helping parents work through the requirements of the Texas Family Code for over 33 years. Let us put our experience to work for you.

Call (713) 903-8112 or contact us online to request a free consultation.

Why Choose Attorney Frank E. Mann?

  • Affordable Fees

    Results-focused for the lowest cost possible to you.

  • Payment Plans Available

    For your convenience and peace of mind, our firm offers payment plans when needed.

  • Free Initial Case Evaluation

    We understand that you have questions; we offer a free initial consultation to help get you started on the right track.

  • Over 33 Years of Legal Experience

    Our attorney has over 33 years of legal experience advocating for your family's goals.

Same-Day Consultations

Fill out the Form Below or Call Us at 713-903-8112 for Your Free Case Evaluation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.


Don’t Just Take Our Word For It
  • Amanda A.

    Frank and his team leave NOTHING ON THE TABLE and fought for my daughter and I every step of the way.

  • Amy W.

    He has been very responsive to my concerns and has handled my case with care. It's clear in his work that he is passionate about ...

  • Mark G.

    We achieved this without hassle, without creating extra cost, while devising a peaceful agreement. Thank you so much for your prof ...

  • Gilberto V.

    Their communication is excellent, they kept me in the loop at all times, and most importantly they actually care about my ...

  • John W.

    He is a very competent attorney and employs realistic and sound financial reasoning when sharing his advice.

  • Cochise K.

    This was a very difficult time but Mr. Mann and his staff kept me informed every step of the way with detailed advice and now I am ...

  • Ashley

    Frank E. Mann took my case, won my case, and made me feel comfortable and reassured the whole time.

  • Reanna H.

    This was so helpful as I was well prepared and there were no surprises!

  • Kenneth L.

    I truly wish I had called him sooner. He helped me out of an untenable position with the kind of skill and professionalism that ...

  • Eugene B.

    Court went just as planned and everything was explained clearly.

  • Alejandro C.

    Thanks to the staff and Frank, they were all very helpful and understanding greatly appreciate them!

  • C. Jones

    He stuck by me in a difficult time, reassuring me with sound advice, and never gave up or quit in the midst of a very complicated ...

  • Lauren

    I am extremely satisfied with the representation of the Law Offices of Frank Mann provided me in my child custody case.

  • Melissa G.

    I live out of state and needed an attorney in Houston. Mr. Mann did a great job for me! I always felt like I was getting straight ...

  • George B.

    They strive to have you happy, and get this, “SAVE YOU MONEY”!

  • Texas Trial Lawyers Association
  • Accolade
  • Houston Bar Association
  • State Bar of Texas
  • Family Law Section
  • South Texas College of Law