Houston Child Support Lawyer
Protecting Your Child’s Future with Child Support
Texas law requires parents to financially support their children, whether the parents are married, divorced, or living separately. The reason for this is to ensure that the child can still thrive and is not disadvantaged simply because their parents are not together. Both parents are responsible for their child's needs, regardless of their relationship with the other parent.
At the Law Offices of Frank E. Mann, P.C., our child support attorney in Houston works with clients to make sure that child support awards are appropriate and based on full disclosure. In some cases, no child support has to be paid. Clients can rest assured that we will make sure they are treated fairly in these matters.
How Is Child Support Calculated in Texas?
In Texas, the child support guidelines are the basis for calculating child support payments. However, if both parents agree on a different arrangement, that agreement takes precedence over the guidelines, but must be approved by the family court judge.
In many cases, our child support lawyer in Houston can get your agreement finalized without approval by a judge. If there are unusual circumstances, such as a child with special needs, that is taken into account when determining the amount of support paid or received and the length of time child support is paid.
Enforcing Child Support in Houston
Has the non-custodial parent stopped making their child support payments? As the custodial parent, you have the ability to ask the court to enforce a child support order. Essentially, the non-compliant parent will be held in contempt of court, since child support is court-ordered and they are violating a court order by intentionally failing to pay child support.
Should the non-custodial parent continue to miss child support payments, then enforcement of child support could lead to garnishment of the non-custodial parent's income and even criminal penalties for contempt. That is what makes enforcement effective.
Representing Payors & Payees in Houston Child Support Cases
If you are being sued for back child support, need to enforce a child support order, or are concerned about the paternity of a child you are being asked to support, then the Law Offices of Frank E. Mann, P.C. can help.
Our Houston child support attorney can answer the following questions about child support in Texas:
- How is child support calculated in Texas?
- How much can I receive or be required to pay?
- How long will child support last?
- What does the formula in the guidelines cover?
- Child support payments are being removed from my paycheck by my employer through payroll garnishment. Can I change this?
- Who pays for health insurance?
- Who pays for extraordinary medical expenses?
- What if the payer spouse is laid off or is fired from his or her job?
- If either spouse gets a job that pays more, can support payments be changed?
- Under what circumstances can child support payments be modified?
- If I know that one of the children is not mine, what should I do?
- When my ex remarries, does his or her obligation change?
Consult a Child Support Lawyer Near You
For answers to these questions and for any issues related to obtaining or paying child support, contact our child support attorney in Houston, TX. We are dedicated to protecting our clients and take the time to develop truly effective solutions to these types of disputes.
Give us a call at (713) 903-8112 to get started on your child support case.