Houston Child Support Lawyer
Protecting You & Your Child’s Rights
Texas law requires parents to support their children. This applies whether the parents are married, divorced, or living separately. At our family law firm, we work with clients to make sure that child support awards are appropriate and based on full disclosure. In some cases, no child support has to be paid. Clients can rest assured that we will make sure they are treated fairly in child support matters.
Texas Child Support Guidelines
Texas’ child support guidelines are the basis for calculating child support payments. However, if both parents agree on a different arrangement, that agreement takes precedence over the guidelines, but must be approved by the family court judge. In many cases, we can get your agreement finalized without approval by a judge. If there are unusual circumstances, such as a child with special needs, that is taken into account when determining the amount of support paid or received and the length of time child support is paid.
Representing Payors & Payees in Child Support Matters
If you are being sued for back child support, need to enforce a child support order, or are concerned about the paternity of a child you are being asked to support, the Law Offices of Frank E. Mann, P.C. can help.
Among the questions we can answer are:
- How is child support calculated in Texas?
- How much can I receive or be required to pay?
- How long will child support last?
- What does the formula in the guidelines cover?
- Child support payments are being removed from my paycheck by my employer through payroll garnishment. Can I change this?
- Who pays for health insurance?
- Who pays for extraordinary medical expenses?
- What if the payer spouse is laid off or is fired from his or her job?
- If either spouse gets a job that pays more, can support payments be changed?
- Under what circumstances can child support payments be modified?
- If I know that one of the children is not mine, what should I do?
- When my ex remarries, does his or her obligation change?
For answers to these questions and for any issues related to obtaining or paying child support, contact our Houston child support lawyer. We are dedicated to protecting our clients and take the time to develop truly effective solutions to these types of disputes.
Give us a call at (713) 903-8112 to get started.